Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Paladin by C.J. Cherryh

My Dad is big into Sci Fi and kept going on about how he loved this book. He was sure I needed to read it and brought it out. While this book is not Sci Fi (which he thought it was at first) it is fantasy. Though very tame in that. Mostly it just reads like a normal fiction book. While I was reading this book I had conflicting notions. It was eye rolling sometimes and a little romancish but other times it was very interesting and fun to read. What it really reminded me of was the book The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. I would pick that book over this one any day. All in all I did have a fun time reading the book and raced through it. Though I did have to raise my eyebrows in surprise. While my Dad did recommend this book to me, it did have some sex in it. I wasn't expecting that.

I will see about posting a picture later. I gave the book back to my Dad before I remembered to take a picture of the cover art.

Once the bravest master of the sword his kingdom had ever known, the warrior known as Saukendar is now a mountain hermit. Betrayed by the Emperor he once protected, Saukendar has left the way of the sword behind him forever-along with everything else he has ever known.

Or so he thinks. For when a headstrong peasant girl burning to avenge her murdered family demands that he train her, Saukendar is faced with a momentous choice. He can send Taizu away, never to see her again...

...or he can join her and destroy the tyrant who has nearly destroyed them both!

No comments: